Faith Forward: Prayer
Week Five Practice
February 11, 2018
Each day this week spend 5 minutes in focused prayer.
- Focused prayer is time dedicated to prayer.
- This is not time while driving, cleaning, or during other tasks we find ourselves doing throughout the week.
- Use a prayer journal or list. This is intentional and will help you stay focused as you bring these things to God.
- Prayer is also listening for God’s guidance.
- Consider setting aside another 5 minutes for listening prayer.
- Meditating on God’s Word is a great way to listen.
- This week Pastor Marco gave three reasons why prayer can be difficult for us: 1) Busyness or Distraction, 2) Prayer has let us down or we don’t really believe it “works”, and 3) We simply don’t know how to pray. Which of these three do you relate with most? Elaborate on why you relate with that particular reason.
- Pastor Marco said, “How you view God shapes how you pray.” Read Matthew 7:7-12. In these verses Jesus paints a picture of God as a good Father who gives generously and is faithful to respond when we pray. How does this picture of God encourage you in prayer? Is your current view of God different?
- Jesus highlights two different types of prayer in Matthew 6:5-8: The pagan way to pray and the Christian way to pray. What is the primary difference between the two? In other words what is the main cause Christians will be heard in prayer?
- Take a moment and make a short list of things you want to pray for this week. These can be anything that are important to you. This list will help you during your focused time in prayer this week.
- Who has influenced your view of God the most? Parents? Spiritual leaders? Authority figures? How have these influences shaped your view of God for better or worse? Together pray that God would graciously reveal misunderstandings you have about prayer and the character of God. Allow Scripture to reform your view of God and prayer.